Sunday, November 11, 2007

Before Christmas There's Remembrance Day

So don't start putting on Christmas decorations right after Halloween.
I walked into a Shoppers Drug Mart tonight and found it festooned with Christmas decorations. I felt all the golds and reds and greens diminished the blood red of my poppy.

I said to the teller, “I realize it is a corporate decision, but I think you should hold off on Christmas until after Remembrance Day.” She expressed equal dismay at the display. I went home, found the shoppers website and sent them the email below.

It is 6 days before Remembrance Day. I will spend those days teaching my students the meaning of sacrifice, honour and grace.

You will be making a buck.

WW1 66000 dead for you,

WW2 45000 dead for you,

Korea 516 dead for you,

Peacekeeping 119 dead for you,

Afghanistan 71 dead for you.

Could you not grant us the dignity of holding off on your Christmas Decorations until Nov. 12?

Those 71 men will not be shopping this year.

I don’t want to punish them. I’m just disappointed. I’ve never taken such action before, but I’m sharing this with everyone on my list. Perhaps it could become a movement.

No comments: