Saturday, April 10, 2010

Oregon Doctor Warns Canadians to Reject Euthanasia Legislation

He knows what legal euthanasia / assisted suicide looks like. And he warns Canadians against falling into the same trap:
Dr. Toffler writes that, "Since assisted suicide has become an option in my state of Oregon, I have had at least a dozen patients discuss this choice with me in my practice. Most of the patients who have broached this issue weren’t even terminal."

"Many studies show that assisted suicide requests are almost always for psychological or social reasons," Dr. Toffler observes. "In Oregon there has never been any documented case of assisted suicide used because there was actual untreatable pain. As such, assisted suicide has been totally unnecessary in Oregon."

Furthermore, "the legislation passed in Oregon does not require that the patient have unbearable suffering, or any suffering at all for that matter."

In his practice Dr. Toffler has found that requests for suicide are very often cries for help rather that demands for death.

"How physicians respond to the patient’s request has a profound effect, not only on a patient’s choices, but also on their view of themselves and their inherent worth."

"When a patient says, 'I want to die'; it may simply mean, 'I feel useless.' When a patient says, 'I don’t want to be a burden'; it may really be a question, 'Am I a burden?' When a patient says, 'I’ve lived a long life already'; they may really be saying, 'I’m tired. I’m afraid I can’t keep going.' And, finally, when a patient says, 'I might as well be dead'; they may really be saying, 'No one cares about me.'"
Some euthanasia supporters want it to be legalized on the grounds that it's already being practiced illegally. If anything - that's an argument against them. If that's the way those doctors act while euthanasia and assisted suicide are still illegal, we can only imagine the slaughter that is going to take place should they succeed in their attempt to legalize direct and intentional actions that cause another person's death.

No comments: