Friday, May 9, 2008

Did Morgentaler Use Blackmail On Pierre Trudeau?

According to this week's Maclean's and the Life Site News, Morgentaler wrote a letter to then-Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau in 1973 in which the abortionist disclosed that friends, relatives and lovers of many leading Canadian politicians were using his then-illegal services. His message to the Prime Minister was that all the confidential information (including the correspondence between the abortionist and PM) could be made public if prosecution against him continued.
Morgentaler begins the two-page, typed, single-spaced letter with the salutation, "Dear Pierre," after which he informs the prime minister that, "On August 15 the Montreal police raided my clinic; they also had a search warrant for my home and found the correspondence with you which I have kept confidential according to your expressed wishes."

He continues, "My reason for writing you is to advise you that this correspondence is now in the hands of someone in the Montreal police department ... I do not think there is anything embarrassing to you in it since we mainly discussed changing the laws on abortion, but thought I should advise you of what had occurred in the event this correspondence might be misused by them."
...
"Do you know that in my clinic, I have helped wives, daughters, mistresses and relatives of members of the Federal and Provincial Cabinet, including some relatives of yours?

"Do you know that Dr. Leon Trudeau, a cousin of yours, has been referring cases to me? Do you know that Quebec ministers who officially came out against abortion, have had relatives treated in my clinic and helped there? Do you know that a relative of [Quebec health minister] Claude Castonguay (who refused to recognize my clinic as requested by me) has had an abortion in my clinic just the day before I was raided? If she knew she would be safe there, does he not know that all patients would be? Or does he not want to know?"
The fish rots from the head. Morgentaler knew well that morally corrupt politicians would care more about their own dirty secrets than about sanctity of life and fetal rights. And he took full advantage of the situation. I won't be surprised if it turns out that among the judges who voted in 1988 to strike down what was left of Canada's abortion laws, there were those whose friends, relatives or mistresses were frequent users of Morgentaler's abortuary.

Now, a generation later, we're struggling to clean up the mess those morally bankrupt "progressive" politicians left behind.

No comments: