Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Homeschooling: A Learning Experience For The Whole Family

Great article by Mary Cooney. The advantages of homeschooling are obvious, but Mary also mentions the challenges which homeschooling families often face:
And so it was with great anticipation that I began homeschooling my daughter last year. Having been a piano teacher and a high school teacher, I assumed that teaching one little five-year-old would be quite simple. Much to my surprise, it was more difficult than I could have imagined. At times it was so challenging that I found myself asking, “Now why are we doing this? And is it really worth it?”

This summer, as I prepared for another year of homeschooling, I took the time to reflect deeply upon the difficulties we had and to examine our reasons for homeschooling. Why are we homeschooling? What are the challenges, and how can we overcome them? This is what I would like to share.
If you have ever had any concerns about the environment and the quality of education provided by the public schools, if you've ever considered taking full control over your children's education - the article is sure worth reading.

No comments: