Monday, September 14, 2009

One More Vote Against Euthanasia

As the ill-famous bill C-384 is about to receive its first hour of debate in the House of Commons, some MPs took their time to respond to their constituents who petitioned them to vote against C-384.

Here's a letter I received from my Member of Parliament, Mr. Brian Murphy:
Dear Mr. ######

Thank you for your letter regarding Bill C-384 - An Act to amend the Criminal Code (right to die with dignity).

Like you, I am in favour of a society where vulnerable citizens are not directly threatened by a law that allows to kill them. That is why I would like to reassure you that the Liberal Party does not support the legalization of euthanasia or assisted suicide in Canada.

We are concerned about how people are cared for at the end of their lives, and previous Liberal governments consistently funded palliative care programs across Canada. I believe it is important that we continue to work on finding the best ways to care for individuals and families confronting serious or life-threatening illness.

Thank you, once again, for taking the time to write to me on this very important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me on this or any other matter.

Sincerely (signed)
Brian Murphy,
M.P. for Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe
To be honest - that's more than I expected. Mr. Murphy and I disagree on the question of abortion, we disagree on the definition of marriage, we're unlikely to agree on plenty of other issues, but at least we both agree that bill C-384 must be defeated.

Not sure, if Brian Murphy actually speaks on behalf of the entire Liberal caucus in the House of Commons, or at least - on behalf of the vast majority of it. Obviously, we won't see a whipped vote and, most likely, there will be many Liberal MPs voting for the bill - either because they like it as it is or because they look forward for the committee to work out a "reasonable compromise". But at least Brian Murphy won't be among them.

I'm glad to know that I can count on my Member of Parliament to stand up for the sanctity of life and vote against bill C-384.

No comments: